Ponant Cruises L'Austral
Ponant Cruises L'Austral
Ponant Cruises L'Austral
Ponant Cruises L'Austral
ANTARCTICATHE GREAT AUSTRAL LOOP
PONANT brings you a 16-day itinerary between South America and the Antarctic Peninsula. An exceptional polar expedition cruise to discover the most beautiful sites of these southern lands.
You will set sail from the fascinating city of Ushuaia, which the Argentinians call El fin del mundo (the end of the world).
First, you will chart a course for the Falkland Islands, whose wild beauty and lush moors are sure to captivate you, before heading to South Georgia, its impressive glaciers and its black-sand beaches where large colonies of king penguins have taken up residence.
You will then sail to the White Continent, realm of the unexpected. Weather and ice conditions permitting, this extreme environment where nature reigns supreme will reveal to you its most beautiful secrets through numerous discoveries.
Gentoo, Adelie and chinstrap penguins, humpback whales, seals and seabirds: these are some of the encounters you will most likely have the chance to experience in the Antarctic Peninsula, creating indelible memories.
Each day, whether on land, aboard your ship or during a Zodiac® outing, you will be surrounded by a grandiose decor ranging from icebergs to ice floe and ancient glaciers.
We are privileged guests in these extreme lands where we are at the mercy of weather and ice conditions. Landings on certain sites and the observation of certain wildlife cannot be guaranteed. They vary from day to day, making each PONANT cruise a unique experience. The Captain and the Expedition Leader will make every effort to ensure that your experience is as rich as possible, while complying with the safety rules and instructions imposed by the IAATO.
Le Boréal, like its Sisterships L’Austral, Le Soléal and Le Lyrial, epitomises the unique feel and atmosphere of the ships of the PONANT fleet. Subtly combining luxury, intimacy and serene well-being, the ship has been designed to offer passengers both moments of conviviality and spaces conducive to peaceful tranquillity and a sense of escape and getting away from it all. Its exterior and interior lines testify to the ingeniousness and refinement with which the Sisterships have been designed.
Your cruise price includes:
- Meet and greet at the hotel by Ponant’s local representative.
- Dinner on the first night
- 1 night accommodation in Buenos Aires pre-cruise (including breakfast)
- Transfer from hotel to airport
- Economy class airfare from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia
- Choice of either lunch at a restaurant or Tierra del Fuego National Park excursion (including lunch)
- 15 night cruise on board Le Boreal
- All meals on board
- Open bar: from the moment your step onboard and throughout your cruise, a wide selection of drinks (mineral water, soft drinks, wine, beer, Charles Heidsieck champagne, spirits, coffee and tea) are served on request and at any time of the day. Certain top-shelf premium alcoholic beverages are not included in the open bar.
- Zodiac outings and shore visits with your expedition team
- Transfer from port to airport in Ushuaia
- Economy class airfare from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires
PLUS! Ultimate Cruising guests also receive:
- Chauffeur driven luxury car transfers to/from your nearest airport (within 35km)
- An extra night accommodation in Buenos Aires
- $500 air credit to use towards international airfares
Ask us about PONANT’s “BOOKING WITH SERENITY” offer!
- New: explore the magic of Antarctica with a sea kayak adventure. Led by experienced, State-Certified kayak guides, you will skim the water’s surface amid the ice. Full professional equipment is provided, including tamdem kayak, carbon paddle, full-body drysuit, lifejacket, AIS beacon. For more information about your kayak tour, please go to the section "PONANT activities" and to book your kayak tour, contact your cruise advisor.
- Outings and shore visits in Zodiac®inflatables with a team of experienced naturalist guides.
- Lectures and information sessions hosted by our naturalist-guides, covering wildlife, history, geopolitics, the great explorers, climate, environmental protection…
- Hiking opportunity.
- Landscapes: moors scattered with moss and lichen, white-sand beaches and turquoise waters in the Falkland Islands; alpine landscapes, lush green plains and suspended glaciers in South Georgia; drifting icebergs, ice floe, glaciers and snow-capped mountains in the Antarctic Peninsula.
- Wildlife: black-browed albatrosses, snowy albatrosses, Magellanic penguins, Gentoo penguins and southern rockhopper penguins in the Falkland Islands; king penguins, elephant seals, fur seals and macaroni penguins in South Georgia; humpback whales, Gentoo penguins, Adelie penguins, chinstrap penguins, leopard seals, crabeater seals and Weddell seals in the Antarctic Peninsula.
- Educational discovery in the respect of environment.
- For your comfort, your cruise package includes an overnight in Buenos Aires the day before embarkation and the flights to/from Ushuaia (for details, see the “Included in your cruise” tab).
Ports of Call
Capital of Argentina's Tierra del Fuego province, Ushuaia is considered the gateway to the White Continent and the South Pole. Nicknamed “El fin del mundo” by the Argentinian people, this city at the end of the world nestles in the shelter of mountains surrounded by fertile plains that the wildlife seem to have chosen as the ultimate sanctuary. With its exceptional site, where the Andes plunge straight into the sea, Ushuaia is one of the most fascinating places on earth, its very name evocative of journeys to the unlikely and the inaccessible…
This island with its distinctive jagged relief is located on the western edge of the Falkland Islands and is home to a tiny village of two families. Step onto the golden sand of its flower-lined beaches, beside which an old stone house still stands, and you'll feel like you've entered a natural paradise. A narrow pathway weaves around typical Falkland moorlands. Follow it and in under 20 minutes you'll find yourself at the heart of a colony of southern rockhopper penguins, black-browed albatross and imperial shags. It's the perfect opportunity to watch the albatross swoop down from the cliffs and skim the waves that crash against the rocks on the exposed side of the island.
Make your way through the turbulent Woolly Gut strait and emerge in the stillness of Grave Cove. Located in the northern edge of the Falkland Islands, this bay owes its name to the vestiges of whalers’ graves that overlook the beach. As you step off the boat and onto the white-sand beach, you might find yourself escorted by a few hospitable Commerson's dolphins, elegantly adorned in black and white. A stroll along the grassy dunes will lead you to a vast plain of lush green grass, tended by a few sheep. On the other side of the island you'll find one of the largest gentoo penguin colonies in the area. With some luck, you'll also glimpse a sea lion scouring the waves for his next meal.
Aboard your ship, discover South Georgia, a region formed by an underwater mountain chain that extends from the Andes to the Antarctic Peninsula. All the wildlife of the Far South can be found there: king and Gentoo penguins, elephant seals, fur seals… You might get the chance to discover the majestic glaciers of Gold Harbour and the vast plains of Fortuna Bay. If you are fortunate enough to land at Salisbury Plain, you can expect a wonderful spectacle: more than 300,000 king penguins, which you will recognise by the bright orange mark on their head and neck, have taken up residence there.
Succumb to the magic of a place unlike any other. To this day, the mythical Antarctic Peninsula still holds real fascination and promises its visitors unforgettable moments. Throughout your adventure in this icy realm, you will find yourself in the heart of a spectacular decor in subtle shades of blue and white, surrounded by exceptional wildlife. Penguins, humpback whales, seals and giant petrels are at home here, as are elephant seals, fur seals, Antarctic minke whales, and orcas. Depending on which sites you will be lucky enough to visit, you may get the chance to observe them and share with them the beauty of these extreme parts.
Each day, based on ice conditions, the Captain and the Expedition Leader will suggest Zodiac® outings or landings to discover the infinite riches of the Antarctic Peninsula. Glaciers, ice floe, tabletop icebergs, mountain peaks that plunge straight into the sea, volcanic beaches, research stations, enchanting bays, and vestiges of the whaling industry: these are the faces of the Antarctic that will likely reveal themselves to you, in a hushed and surreal atmosphere. You will sail in the wake of Jean-Baptiste Charcot, Adrien de Gerlache and Sir Ernest Shackleton, great Antarctic explorers who, from the 19th century, set out to conquer these remote and uninhabited lands.
Departure Dates & Pricing
19 January 2022
|CABIN GRADE||PRICE PER PERSON TWIN SHARE|
|Superior Stateroom||Fully Booked|
|Deluxe Stateroom||Fully Booked|
|Prestige Deck 4||Fully Booked|
|Prestige Deck 5||From $28,335|
|Prestige Deck 6||From $29,759|
|Deluxe Suite||From $40,659|
|Prestige Deck 5||From $43,989|
|Prestige Deck 6||From $46,129|
As availability and prices change regularly and without notice, please ask us for best available pricing.
- Classic Luxury
- Luxury Expedition
- 24 Hr Room Service
- Boutique &/or Salon
- Meals + Wine
- Pool &/or Spa
Fly SYD/MEL/BNE to Buenos Aires
Overnight Buenos Aires
Charter flight to Ushuaia
Charter flight to Buenos Aires
Fly Buenos Aires to Australia